What is IOL?
IOL, or ‘intraocular lenses’ is the procedure where artificial lenses are implanted in the eye to offer visual solutions.
There are a number of reasons why this could be an option for you:
- because you may have cataracts forming on your natural lens
- due to age related conditions, such as presbyopia
- due to a higher prescription: higher myopia, hyperopia, or astigmatism
- if your cornea is not suitable for laser treatment.
DID YOU KNOW? The artificial lens is several times smaller than your average contact lens – ask to take a look at an example at your consultation!
There are two areas that Ultralase cover; lens replacement and implantable contact lenses.
If you have been for your consultation and the optometrist suggests that the best course of action is lens replacement, you will be advised on what lenses would be suitable for you, to give you the best result. The lenses that we do provide for the procedure are state of the art and are chosen specifically based on your prescription and your requirements.
Below are the lenses that we do provide for refractive lens exchange (the medical term for lens replacement):
- Monofocal lenses – single focal strengths used to correct distance vision.
- Multifocal lenses – multi focal strengths enabling vision for distance, intermediate and near vision. These lenses can correct both distance and reading vision.
If the optometrist suggests that implantable contact lenses are the best solution for you, this involves placing a small lens inside the eye, with your natural lens remaining intact. This is very much like a contact lens, and provides optimum focusing ability, however it sits within your eye rather than on top like your traditional contact lens.
You are able to reverse this procedure later in life, should you choose to do so.
Call us on 0800 988 6390 to find out more from one of our advisers.